Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Little Bitty German Pancakes

I made these last weekend and they were oh so good.  I'm putting the recipe here for my own convenience but all credit to Make and Take. I halved the recipe for the four of us making 12 pop-ups. That was 3 each which was probably the proper amount though I think we all could have eaten three more. I guess I need another 12 count muffin tin.

Pop Up Pancakes
1 c milk
1 c flour
6 eggs
1/4 c melted butter
dash salt

Preheat oven to 400f. Blend all ingredients in a blender. Grease muffin tins (total of 24 muffins) or baking pan. (They can be made in  a jelly roll pan, though that wouldn't be nearly as fun.) I used "Crisco cooking spray with flour" which I'm embarrassed to say I had in the house. I had a coupon but still...

Bake for 15 minutes or until puffy and golden on top. Mine popped right out with the Crisco.

I got inspired and made blueberry syrup to go with.  I found this recipe on Allrecipes. 

Blueberry Sauce
2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 c water
1 c orange juice
3/4 c white sugar
1/4 c cold water
3 T cornstarch
1/2 t almond extract
1/8 t cinnamon

In a saucepan over medium heat combine the blueberries, 1/4 c of water, orange juice and sugar. Stir gently and bring to a boil.

In a small bowl or cup, mix together cornstarch and 1/4 c cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries so as not to mash the berries. Simmer gently until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract and cinnamon. Thin sauce with water if it is too thick for your liking.

No comments: